Monero is a secure, private, untraceable, and fungible digital currency - Learn more
Vol. 01, No. 20-21 January 9 January 22, 2017
Monero Wallet(s) News
A demo of Kasisto, a point of sale integration for Monero, was released. It showcased a transaction that took only 22 seconds to complete!
CryptoIzzy shared his latest thoughts on Monero’s valuation. I highly recommend everyone gives it a look. He believes that Monero is uniquely positioned (and far more so than any other cryptocurrency – and therefore as a true successor to Bitcoin) to displace corrupt fiat money and bring back sound money (with an important focus on Fungibility). He concludes that Monero may ultimately be worth between $200,000 to $2,000,000 per coin.
Monero Testnet Live
You can now test out Monero’s latest features including Bulletproofs, Subaddresses, and Multisig on Monero Testnet Live thanks to u/phloating_man. Users don’t have to compile from source, download the blockchain, or mine testnet.
r/Monero 100k+ Subscribers!
Congratulations to r/Monero for surpassing 100,000 subscribers! u/Experts-say posted a congratulatory poster to celebrate the event.
In a prime example of SHUM (Should have used Monero) and why fungibility is so important, a user detailed his recent experience with Bitfinex. He claims to have over $1mm in crypto assets frozen on Bitfinex due to his funds behind associated with a tainted history. The case is currently pending POLICE investigation. This would have not been possible if he transacted with a fungible cryptocurrency such as Monero.
Around the Web
Ricardo Spagni was a featured guest on CNBC’s crypto trader TV program.
Ricardo Spagni also appeared on episode 2 of the Magical Crypto Friends. He discussed Monero throughout the episode, including topics such as proof-of-work and blockchain scaling.
Check out the latest Monero Coffee Chat.
Howard Chu will be presenting a talk about Monero at FOSDEM 2018 in February. There is also an interview with him available ahead of the event.
Monero was discussed in Diar weekly. It discusses how private cryptocurrencies are challenging Bitcoin fungibility.
The creator of moneroqrcode.com is asking for funding assistance to keep the website up and running.
Its Blockchain posted an exclusive interview with John McAfee where he discussed cryptocurrencies and Monero. He lists Monero as one of the cryptocurrencies with the greatest potential in terms of returns and utility in the coming years.
Japan Times reported that a cybersecurity company said it has found software that appears to install code for mining cryptocurrency and sends any mined coins to a server at a North Korean university, the latest sign that North Korea may be searching for new ways to infuse its economy with cash. The application, uses host computers to mine a cryptocurrency called Monero.
Jon Creasy of Hackernoon discussed that only three cryptocurrencies will survive the crypto crash, Monero being one of them.
- Inc.com mentioned Monero in an article, saying that cutting-edge crooks are moving away from bitcoin to more secure coins like Monero, which was built to be as anonymous as cash.
- The Market Mogul discussed if Monero is a viable alternative to Bitcoin.
- XMR.TO announced that Zero-conf orders are enabled again on its website.
- A new XMR Miner GUI was released for Windows.
- Monero was discussed in a post by cryptocomicon, in a confession of a reformed Bitcoin maximalist.
- Express mentioned Monero in an article about Bitcoin, highlighting its fungibility benefits.
- Bleeping Computer reported that a group of hackers have made over a quarter-million dollars worth of Monero by breaking into Oracle WebLogic servers and installing a cryptocurrency miner.
- In an article about cryptocurrencies by David Gibbons, he discussed Monero as people have a need to hide money.
- Monero was featured as the #4 safest cryptocurrency bet for 2018 in an article by Fynestuff.com
- Monero was mentioned in a Phys.org article discussing Bitcoin’s rivals.
- A mainstream German website wrote an article about Monero.
- A German family office is now offering a crypto fund including Monero.
- XMR.RU released its December report.
- The Intense VPN team announced that they rebased to Monero from Bytecoin.
- Privacy enhancing internet browser extension for local CDN emulation Decentraleyes is now accepting donations in Monero.
- Weiss Ratings will issue letter grades on cryptocurrencies, including Monero to be released on January 24.
- Please beware of Eutrino.com, which claims to be a CAD to Monero exchange. r/monero users were quick to point out reasons why the community should be suspect.
- Watch out crypto community, infamous Crypto Nick now supports Monero :(.
- u/johnfoss69 released an amazing guide on Monero, and his view on it has great potential. I highly recommend everyone read this guide on Monero!
- Justin Ehrenhofer put together a learning track for Monero, packed with resources. It contains over 12 sections and 47 resources.
- u/weijiekoh posted a guide on Malvarma, a secure Monero cold wallet generation on the Raspberry Pi Zero.
- u/serhack posted a guide on how to begin accepting Monero as a form of payment.
- For those interested, here is a list of people tweeting about Monero, put together by u/xmrballoons.
- Longcaller posted a brief introduction to Monero.
Upcoming Monero Meetups
Shopping with Monero
Forum Funding System
- Mastering Monero is looking for feedback on its FFS.
- Luis of cryptopop.net, the creator of the MoneroCat webcomic, is seeking funds to develop a new webcomic series starring MoneroCat and the Justice League of Crypto.
- Monero Bounty for Hackerone - 85.06% funded
- Monero Tracking Challenge #2 - 52.05% funded
Top 5 r/Monero posts of the last few weeks
- Did John McAfee just sell all of his Monero??
- Found In Warsaw - Don't Buy Monero: Cryptocurrencies harm the banking system and can weaken the government
- Credit, where credit is due!
- Due to significant community interest, fees have been reduced by 41%.
- Friendly Reminder: Vote for Monero (XMR) as a form of payment on ProtonMail.
Until next time…
Enjoy this graphic created of Monero headed to the moon!
- Vol. 01, No. 21-22 1/9/18 1/22/18
- Vol. 01, No. 20 1/2/18 1/8/18
- Vol. 01, No. 19 12/26/17 1/1/18
- Vol. 01, No. 17-18 12/5/17 12/25/17
- Vol. 01, No. 16 11/28/17 12/4/17
- Vol. 01, No. 15 11/21/17 11/27/17
- Vol. 01, No. 14 11/14/17 11/20/17
- Vol. 01, No. 13 11/7/17 11/13/17
- Vol. 01, No. 12 10/31/17 11/6/17
- Vol. 01, No. 11 10/24/17 10/30/17
- Vol. 01, No. 10 10/17/17 10/23/17
- Vol. 01, No. 09 10/10/17 10/16/17
- Vol. 01, No. 08 10/3/17 10/9/17
- Vol. 01, No. 07 9/26/17 10/2/17
- Vol. 01, No. 06 9/19/17 9/25/17
- Vol. 01, No. 05 9/12/17 9/18/17
- Vol. 01, No. 04 9/5/17 9/11/17
- Vol. 01, No. 03 8/29/17 9/4/17
- Vol. 01, No. 02 8/22/17 8/28/17
- Vol. 01, No. 01 8/15/17 8/21/17
Interested in receiving the latest Monero Observer issues? Sign up with your email address to begin your free subscription.
Monero Observer is a free weekly news publication released every Tuesday, created in an effort to keep the Monero community up to date on all the latest news and developments related to Monero. We aim to achieve this by aggregating all the relevant information into one convenient location in an easy-to-digest format. We sift through the noise so you don’t have to.
Monero Observer is proudly funded by the Monero Community! It is operated and maintained by monerooby_doo. Donations (XMR) are greatly appreciated:
Please email any questions, feedback, corrections, suggestions, or anything you think should be included in future issues.
The HTML/CSS front-end templates were created and donated by u/tficharmers.
This site contains opinion for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment advice. Information may contain errors and omissions. Use solely at your own risk. The authors of this site and/or the authors of articles linked to from this site may have financial investments that may bias their opinions, including ownership of Monero currency. Always do your own research, form your own opinions, and never take risks with money or trust third parties without verifying their credibility.